Friday, April 12, 2013

Salt and Watercolor

I love making backgrounds!

Sometimes I spend whole art days doing just that!

My latest play at that was using watercolors, lots of water, and salt for some really fun effects.

This is the paper I was using:

And here's some of my results:

These two I used rock salt.
The rest were just regular table salt.








So fun because you never know for sure what the end results will be.
Just be sure to get your watercolors really wet and saturated with color.  Apply to your paper anyway you want - designs, color patters, etc.Then generously sprinke with salt with spots or lines of heavier applications for varying designs.  
The hardest part is you HAVE TO LET IT DRY COMPLETELY before you can scrape the salt off.  I let mine sit to dry overnight.  I use an old credit card or bone folder to scrape.
And then you get the delightful surprise of seeing what you got!
Pretty cool, huh?

THANKS for taking a look!

2 comments:

  1. Wow very cool Kimber, I'm going to have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE these, Kimber...especially the ones with the rock salt. What fun to play with backgrounds in your journal...I'll have to try this technique, too...thanks!
    xo
    Debbie
    ===^..^===

    ReplyDelete