Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Magnolia Journal page

Magnolias are one of my favorite flowers.  Awhile back I got a card from a friend that she had made with a magnolia she had put on the front.  A day or two later I got a card from another friend and she had used a Magnolia postage stamp to send it.  Then while out and about I had gone to an antique store that had a painting of a magnolia very similar to the one on the card that had a black background.  A journal page inspiration/idea started building in my head!
Heres' what I came up with:
I painted the background with layers of gesso, black acrylic, and dark green acrylic.  Then I used a Tattered Angels mask for the fence and used a makeup sponge to sponge two shades of green acrylic.  I used another mask and two shades of green again for the mask in the upper left corner.
I toned down the white on the postage stamp with green ink and also, edged the magnolia image I had torn off the card with the same green ink.  The page needed one more thing, I looked through a bunch of magazines and found the center image.  Everything was glued down with matte medium.  The magnolia from the card got a sort of cool texture, almost crackled.  Here's a close-up you can sorta see the texture:
  Cool, huh?
Here's a close-up of the masking also:
I really like how it turned out with the two shades of green.


Thanks for taking a look!
Enjoy the rest of your week!

3 comments:

  1. LOVELY Kimber! Sometimes when we align all those things, you just HAVE to take the cue!
    GREAT JOB!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Kimber. The flowers are fab and I love your colour choices!!!
    This page has great dimension and detail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the texture you were able to achieve on that magnolia image...amazing what you can do with a simple paper napkin to start with, huh? This is a great page.

    ReplyDelete